Get your FREE Montana residential lease termination notice and read further about what state-specific landlord-tenant laws apply to break a lease in Montana.
Click here to view/download the direct PDF file.
Montana Notice Requirements for Lease Termination by Tenant
- A month-to-month tenant will be required to inform the landlord that they will be vacating a month before they move out.
- For a fixed-term rental, there is not required notice that must be given if the tenant is leaving when the agreement expires.
- With a week-to-week lease, the tenant should provide the landlord with a seven-day notice to inform them that they will be vacating the property.
Legally Terminating a Lease Early in Montana
- Active members of the military are exempt from a penalty when starting active service.
- If the rental unit violates the health and safety codes of Montana, then the tenant can use what is called a constructive eviction to move out without penalty.
- If the landlord has violated the privacy of the tenant or harassed them, they can end the rental agreement without facing a penalty as well.