A library of detailed information about local, state and federal laws governing landlords, tenants, real estate investors, rental properties and residential property owners.
Landlord Tenant Rights
Additional breakdowns of landlord tenant laws by area:
- Security Deposits – limits on the maximum deposit charge, deadlines for refunds and more.
- Eviction Process – how the eviction process works, the steps involved and how long it takes to complete it.
- Breaking a Lease Early – all legally acceptable reasons a tenant can break a lease early without penalty.
Adverse Possession (Squatter’s Rights)
Information about how adverse possession, the legal process for how a person without a legal title to a piece of property acquires legal ownership based on continuous occupation (without the permission of its legal owner), is determined.
Homeowner Associations (HOAs)
A summary of state statutes and regulations that govern Homeowner Associations. Specifically, answers on how they’re regulated, what powers they do (and don’t) have and what rules exist for leaving, joining and dissolving them.
Miscellaneous Laws & Regulations
- Snow Removal Laws – state legislation involving the removal/clearing of snow on residential properties.
- Rent Control Laws – state and local legislation on rent control (regulations governing rent prices and increases).
- Carbon Monoxide & Smoke Detector Laws – state requirements for carbon monoxide detectors and smoke alarms for both existing and new residential properties.