To make sure all responsible landlords and tenants are informed, we provide detailed information about local, state and federal laws governing rental properties.
1. Landlord Tenant Rights – state-by-state breakdowns of the law that govern the rights and duties of landlords and tenants.
Additionally, see our breakdowns of the main areas of landlord/tenant laws by topic area:
- Security Deposits – limits on the maximum deposit charge, deadlines for refunds and more.
- Breaking a Lease Early – all legally acceptable reasons a tenant can break a lease early without penalty.
2. Adverse Possession (Squatter’s Rights) – state-by-state breakdowns for how adverse possession, the legal process for how a person without a legal title to a piece of property acquires legal ownership based on continuous occupation (without the permission of its legal owner), is determined.
3. Additional Guides – other various legal topics applying to homeowners and landlords, most of which differ on a state-by-state basis.
- Snow Removal Laws – state legislation involving the removal/clearing of snow on residential properties.
- Rent Control Laws – state and local legislation on rent control (regulations governing rent prices and increases).
- Carbon Monoxide & Smoke Detector Laws – state requirements for carbon monoxide detectors and smoke alarms for both existing and new residential properties.