Connecticut 3 Day Notice to Quit

Last Updated: September 7, 2022 by Marnie Snyder

A Connecticut 3 Day Notice to Quit is a legal eviction letter written by the landlord and served by a state marshal or proper officer to the tenant for nonpayment of rent. The tenant has the option to pay the rent balance due or vacate the premises within three (3) calendar days.

When to Use a Connecticut 3 Day Notice to Quit

Use a 3-Day Notice to Quit to begin the eviction process in Connecticut if the tenant has not paid rent (either after a four (4) day grace period for a one (1) week tenancy or a nine (9) day grace period for all other tenancies).

If the above is not true, use one of the below forms to evict a tenant:

  • 15 Day Notice to Comply or Vacate – If the tenant committed a health/safety violation, damaged the property, interfered with peace, refused the landlord access to the premises, violated the rules with too many people living at the premises or any other type of lease violation.
  • 3 Day Notice to Vacate – If the tenant committed an incurable breach of the lease or substantially the same act or omission, which recurred within six (6) months.
  • 30 Day Notice to Vacate – If the tenant does not have a lease, has an expired lease or is on a periodic (i.e. month-to-month) lease.

How to Write a Connecticut 3 Day Notice to Quit

The Three (3) Day Notice to Quit form shall be completed as follows:

  1. Write all adult tenants’ names (do not include minors);
  2. Fill in the complete address of the rental premises;
  3. Specify the lease violation and provide detailed information;
  4. Enter the amount of rent due and the date it became due;
  5. Enter the date the total amount is due or the date the tenant must vacate the premises for an unpaid balance due;
  6. Landlord prints their name and signs the notice;
  7. Landlord includes their full address and phone number.

How to Serve a Connecticut 3 Day Notice to Quit

In Connecticut, a landlord cannot serve this notice. The 3 Day Notice to Quit must be delivered by a state marshal, proper officer or specially appointed person by the court using any of the below acceptable methods:

  1. Handing the notice to the tenant in person;
  2. Handing the notice to a person of suitable age and discretion;
  3. Posting the notice in a conspicuous place at the premises.