An Iowa lease termination notice form is an official legal document provided to either the tenant or the landlord informing them that the tenancy is ending. If rent is paid monthly, then at least 30 days notice must be provided before the tenancy can end.
Types of Iowa Lease Termination Notice Forms
|Notice Form||Lease Type|
|10 Day Notice to Vacate||Weekly|
|30 Day Notice to Vacate||Monthly / Longer Term|
Iowa 10 Day Notice to Vacate
An Iowa 10 Day Notice to Vacate is an official form used for terminating a week-to-week tenancy. This notice may also be used for tenants with no written lease that pay rent weekly. There is no option to continue the arrangement and the tenancy will end within ten (10) calendar days.
Iowa 30 Day Notice to Vacate
An Iowa 30 Day Notice to Vacate is an official lease termination letter designed to end a month-to-month tenancy. This notice may also be used for tenants that do not have a written lease that pay rent monthly or for tenants with an expired lease. In addition, this lease termination letter may be used to terminate a tenancy for a term longer than month-to-month. This letter must be provided at least thirty (30) calendar days prior to the end date specified in the notice.
How to Write a Lease Termination Notice in Iowa
For a lease termination notice to be legally compliant:
- State who the legal letter is addressed to (use full name of the receiving party).
- Include the termination date of the lease or tenancy.
- Fill in the full address of the rental premises.
- For tenants, provide your new address and an updated phone number.
- Sign the notice and print your name.
- For landlords, include contact information, such as address and phone number.
- Complete the certificate of service by indicating the date and method of notice delivery along with printed name and signature.
Without this information on the lease termination notice, a judge may not be able to proceed with legal action.
How to Calculate Expiration Date in Iowa
A 10 Day Notice to Vacate is served to tenants to end a week-to-week tenancy. The notice shall be provided by the landlord or the tenant at least ten (10) days prior to the end date indicated in the notice.
A 30 Day Notice to Vacate is delivered to tenants to end a month-to-month or longer term tenancy. The notice must be delivered by either party at least thirty (30) days prior to the termination date.
How to Serve a Lease Termination Notice in Iowa
A landlord or a tenant may deliver lease termination notices in Iowa using any of the below acceptable methods:
- Handing the notice to the other party in person;
- Handing the notice to a person who can accept the legal letter on behalf of the other party;
- Mailing the notice by regular and certified mail with a return receipt.
When sending the notice by regular and certified mail, add four (4) calendar days to the notice period to account for variability in post office delivery times.