A Michigan 7 Day Notice To Comply or Vacate is a letter which complies with state legal requirements to begin eviction against a tenant for causing extensive health and safety hazards or continuing physical injury to the premises. The landlord may decide whether to give the tenant an opportunity to correct the issue. Either way, if not corrected, the tenant must move out within seven (7) calendar days of receiving notice.
When To Use a Michigan 7 Day Notice To Comply or Vacate
A Michigan 7 Day Notice To Comply or Vacate begin the eviction process for the following tenant violations:
- Causing extensive health or safety hazards
- Causing extensive and continuing physical injury to the premises
If the lease violation is one which can be fixed through corrective action, the landlord may give the tenant an opportunity to comply with the lease terms and correct the issue. If the landlord refuses this option, or the tenant otherwise fails to correct the issue, the tenant must vacate the premises by the date of termination.
Some types of Michigan lease termination notice may allow different reasons for termination, or different notice periods. This may also apply to an eviction notice issued because of a lease or legal violation.
How To Write a Michigan 7 Day Notice To Comply or Vacate
To help ensure the legal compliance of a Notice To Comply or Vacate:
- Use the full name of the receiving parties, and address of record, if known
- Specify the termination date of the lease or tenancy
- Specify the basis for terminating the tenancy, and the corrective action(s) required to avoid termination
- Fill in the full address of the rental premises
- Provide updated/current address and phone number information
- Print name and sign the notice
- Complete the certificate of service by indicating the date and method of notice delivery, along with printed name and signature
It is easy to lose an otherwise justified legal action because of improper notice. Check carefully to ensure enough time after notice is delivered, not when it’s sent.
How To Serve a Michigan 7 Day Notice To Comply or Vacate
Michigan landlords may deliver a Notice To Comply or Vacate using any of these methods:
- Hand delivery to the other party
- Hand delivery to a person of suitable age on the property who can accept the notice on behalf of the other party
- Delivery by first class mail
- Delivery by electronic means, like email, only if agreed in writing that this is an acceptable form of notice
When mailed, notice begins counting against the notice period on the next day mail is delivered. Electronic notice does not begin counting against the notice period until the receiving party responds to the electronic message.