A Michigan 7 Day Notice to Terminate Tenancy is an official document written to terminate a week-to-week lease. The letter is provided to either party at least seven (7) calendar days before the termination date set forth in the notice.
When to Use a Michigan 7 Day Notice to Terminate Tenancy
The landlord or the tenant may use a Michigan seven (7)-Day Notice to Terminate Tenancy to end a week-to-week lease. This lease termination letter may also be used for tenants with no written lease that pay rent weekly. There is no option to continue the arrangement and the tenancy will end within seven (7) calendar days.
How to Write a Michigan 7 Day Notice to Terminate Tenancy
The seven (7) Day Notice to Terminate Tenancy form is to be completed as follows:
- State who the legal letter is addressed to (use full name of the receiving party).
- Include the termination date of the lease or tenancy.
- Fill in the full address of the rental premises.
- For tenants, provide your new address and an updated phone number.
- Sign the notice and print your name.
- For landlords, include contact information, such as address and phone number.
- Complete the certificate of service by indicating the date and method of notice delivery along with printed name and signature.
Without this information on the lease termination notice, a judge may not be able to proceed with legal action.
How to Serve a Michigan 7 Day Notice to Terminate Tenancy
A landlord or tenant can deliver lease termination notices in Michigan using any of the below acceptable methods:
- Handing the notice to the other party in person;
- Handing the notice to a person who can accept the letter on behalf of the other party;
- Mailing the notice by first class mail;
- Sending the notice by electronic service.
When sending the notice by first class mail, the notice takes effect on the next day mail is delivered. If the following day is a legal holiday or a day when the mail is not delivered, then the notice will not take effect until the next day mail is delivered.
If the notice is sent electronically, it is considered delivered if the receiving party responds to the electronic message.