A Utah lease termination notice is a document which officially announces the upcoming end of a rental tenancy. Either a landlord or tenant may give notice, in most cases at least 15 days in advance.
Types of Utah Lease Termination Notice Forms
|5 Day Notice To Vacate
|Tenancy At Will
|15 Day Notice To Vacate
|Periodic / Fixed Term
Utah 5 Day Notice To Vacate
A Utah 5 Day Notice To Vacate is used by the landlord or the tenant to terminate a tenancy at will (e.g., a guest who won’t move out, or an unauthorized occupant on a rental property). This form of termination also applies to an expired lease with no renewal option, and for tenants who lack an oral or written rental agreement. The non-terminating party must receive notice at least five (5) calendar days before the termination date.
Utah 15 Day Notice To Vacate
A Utah 15 Day Notice To Vacate terminates a periodic tenancy (e.g., month-to-month) as well as fixed-term leases. The non-terminating party must receive notice at least fifteen (15) calendar days before the termination date.
How To Write a Lease Termination Notice in Utah
To ensure the legal compliance of a lease termination notice:
- Use the full name of the receiving party, and address of record, if known
- Specify the termination date of the lease or tenancy
- Fill in the full address of the rental premises
- Provide updated/current address and phone number information
- Print name and sign the notice
- Complete the certificate of service by indicating the date and method of notice delivery, along with printed name and signature
It is easy to lose an otherwise justified legal action because of improper notice. Check carefully to ensure enough time after notice is delivered, not when it’s sent.
How To Calculate Expiration Date in Utah
The “clock” for a lease termination notice starts “ticking” the day after the notice gets delivered (served). For example, to give at least 30 days of notice and terminate a tenancy as of June 30th, delivery of the termination letter must be no later than May 31st.
In most jurisdictions, if the last day of a notice period is a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, the period continues to run until the end of the next day that is not a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday.
How To Serve a Lease Termination Notice in Utah
Utah landlords may deliver an eviction notice using any of these methods:
- Hand delivery to the other party
- Hand delivery to a person of suitable age who can accept the notice on behalf of the other party, if the other party is unavailable
- Posting at a conspicuous place on the property, if there is no one of suitable age to accept the notice on behalf of the other party
- Delivery by registered or certified mail
Mailed notice begins the notice period as of the time of mailing.