A Maine 7 Day Notice To Comply or Vacate is letter which complies with state legal requirements to begin eviction against a tenant for a “curable” violation (i.e., one which the tenant is allowed an opportunity to correct), such as failure to maintain sanitary premises. The tenant must take appropriate corrective action or move out within seven (7) calendar days of receiving notice.
When To Use a Maine 7 Day Notice To Comply or Vacate
A Maine 7 Day Notice To Comply or Vacate begins the eviction process for the following tenant violations:
- Failure to comply with health and safety rules which maintain the premises in clean and sanitary condition
- Occupancy violation
- Other violations of the lease
Some types of Maine lease termination notice may allow different reasons for termination, or different notice periods. This may also apply to an eviction notice issued because of a lease or legal violation.
How To Write a Maine 7 Day Notice To Comply or Vacate
To help ensure the legal compliance of a Notice To Comply or Vacate:
- Use the full name of the receiving parties, and address of record, if known
- Specify the termination date of the lease or tenancy
- Specify the basis for terminating the tenancy, and the corrective action(s) necessary to avoid termination
- Fill in the full address of the rental premises
- Provide updated/current address and phone number information
- Print name and sign the notice
- Complete the certificate of service by indicating the date and method of notice delivery, along with printed name and signature
It is easy to lose an otherwise justified legal action because of improper notice. Check carefully to ensure enough time after notice is delivered, not when it’s sent.
How To Serve a Maine 7 Day Notice To Comply or Vacate
Maine landlords must deliver a Notice To Comply or Vacate in person by default. If delivery cannot be made, after at least three (3) good faith attempts to deliver notice in person, either party may post notice at the other party’s address of record, PLUS delivery by first class mail with a certificate of mailing.
To account for variable delivery times, mailed notice extends the notice period by three (3) calendar days.