A New Mexico 7 Day Notice To Terminate Tenancy is a letter which complies with state legal requirements to terminate a week-to-week lease. The non-terminating party must receive notice at least seven (7) calendar days before the date of termination.
When To Use a New Mexico 7 Day Notice To Terminate Tenancy
A New Mexico 7 Day Notice To Terminate Tenancy ends a week-to-week lease, or a situation with no written lease where the tenant pays rent weekly. Either the landlord or the tenant may deliver this notice at will.
Some types of New Mexico lease termination notice may allow different reasons for termination, or different notice periods. This may also apply to an eviction notice issued because of a lease or legal violation.
How To Write a New Mexico 7 Day Notice To Terminate Tenancy
To help ensure the legal compliance of a Notice To Terminate:
- Use the full name of the receiving party, and address of record, if known
- Specify the termination date of the lease or tenancy
- Fill in the full address of the rental premises
- Provide updated/current address and phone number information
- Print name and sign the notice
- Complete the certificate of service by indicating the date and method of notice delivery, along with printed name and signature
It is easy to lose an otherwise justified legal action because of improper notice. Check carefully to ensure enough time after notice is delivered, not when it’s sent.
How To Serve a New Mexico 7 Day Notice To Terminate Tenancy
New Mexico landlords and tenants may deliver a Notice To Terminate using any of these methods:
- Hand delivery to the other party
- Delivery by first class mail, with a certificate of mailing
- Posting at a conspicuous place on the property, such as the entry door, AND hand delivering to the other party OR delivering by first class mail with a certificate of mailing
A lease termination notice takes effect upon delivery, which is the advantage of posting at the premises if the other party is not immediately available. Check specified date of termination carefully to ensure compliance with the legal requirements for a notice period.