A New Mexico lease termination notice is a document which officially announces the upcoming end of a rental tenancy. Either a landlord or tenant may give notice, in most cases at least 30 days in advance.
Types of New Mexico Lease Termination Notice Forms
|7 Day Notice To Terminate Tenancy
|30 Day Notice To Vacate
|Monthly / Yearly
New Mexico 7 Day Notice To Terminate Tenancy
A New Mexico 7 Day Notice To Terminate Tenancy terminates a week-to-week lease, and situations with no written lease where the tenant pays rent weekly. The non-terminating party must receive notice at least seven (7) calendar days before the date of termination.
New Mexico 30 Day Notice To Vacate
A New Mexico 30 Day Notice To Vacate terminates a rental agreement, including a month-to-month or year-to-year lease as well as expired leases and situations without a written lease where the tenant pays rent monthly. The non-terminating party must receive notice at least thirty (30) calendar days before the date of termination.
How to Write a Lease Termination Notice in New Mexico
To ensure the legal compliance of a lease termination notice:
- Use the full name of the receiving party, and address of record, if known
- Specify the termination date of the lease or tenancy
- Fill in the full address of the rental premises
- Provide updated/current address and phone number information
- Print name and sign the notice
- Complete the certificate of service by indicating the date and method of notice delivery, along with printed name and signature
It is easy to lose an otherwise justified legal action because of improper notice. Check carefully to ensure enough time after notice is delivered, not when it’s sent.
How To Calculate Expiration Date in New Mexico
The “clock” for a lease termination notice starts “ticking” the day after the notice gets delivered (served). For example, to give at least 30 days of notice and terminate a tenancy as of June 30th, delivery of the termination letter must be no later than May 31st.
In most jurisdictions, if the last day of a notice period is a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, the period continues to run until the end of the next day that is not a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday.
How To Serve a Lease Termination Notice in New Mexico
landlords and tenants may deliver a lease termination notice using any of these methods:
- Hand delivery to the other party
- Delivery by first class mail with a certificate of mailing
- Posting the notice on an exterior door of the premises, PLUS either hand-delivering the notice OR delivering it by first class mail with a certificate of mailing
Posting a notice starts the count on the notice period, even if (for example) the mailed notice takes a few more days to deliver.