Grab our free sample or generate an official Oklahoma sublease agreement for residential use. Read further about subletting laws in Oklahoma, required disclosures, optional addendums and what other Oklahoma landlord tenant laws apply to residential sublease agreements.
Sublease Agreement Sample
Click here to view/download the direct PDF file.
What is an Oklahoma Sublease Agreement?
A sublease agreement is a rental agreement that is between the original tenant who signed the lease and a new tenant who is going to take over their responsibilities in the rental for some time. This will occur when the original tenant needs to be away from the area for a while because they are traveling the world, going home between semesters, or moving in with their significant other. Since they are tied to a fixed-term lease, they would be responsible for paying the rent until the term expires, but this financial responsibility can be passed to another who needs a rental in the area. They will have to pay the same rent and follow the terms of the rental agreement.
Subletting Laws in Oklahoma
There are no specific subletting laws in this state the tenant will need to abide by if they decide to create a subletting agreement. The landlord will have to permit it unless they have stated explicitly in the original lease the subletting is not allowed. Before beginning any subletting lease, it is essential for the tenant to send a written notice to the landlord asking their permission to do such a contract. Make sure that the notice is sent by certified mail so that receipt of it is known, and if the landlord does not respond within 30 days, the tenant can assume that the landlord grants their permission for the sublease agreement.
What to Include in an Oklahoma Sublease Agreement
- The date that the agreement begins and ends. Also, include whether a renewal of the lease is possible.
- The full name of the sub-lessee and the sub-lessor.
- The address of the rental property as well as any cross streets.
- The terms of the lease. This will include parking rules, pet rules, and other rules that the new tenant should know about.
- The amount of rent that the new tenant will be responsible for paying. Also, include how the sub-lessee should pay the rent and whether they will have contact with the landlord.
- The security deposit and other expenses that they will be required to pay. This will include utilities as well.
- Both parties must sign and date the document.