Grab our free sample or generate an official Tennessee sublease agreement for residential use. Read further about subletting laws in Tennessee, required disclosures, optional addendums and what other Tennessee landlord tenant laws apply to residential sublease agreements.
Sublease Agreement Sample
Click here to view/download the direct PDF file.
What is a Tennessee Sublease Agreement?
A sublease agreement is one that can be used when a tenant needs to leave the area. This could be a useful arrangement for a student, a temporary worker, or someone traveling abroad for a while. The responsibilities that the tenant signed up for when they signed the lease will be transferred to the new tenant. They will need to pay the rent and the utilities while they are away. In addition, the terms can be for a few months or until the lease ends. The landlord will deal with the subtenant like they are the tenant, or they can choose to deal with the original tenant only, which will make them like the sub-lessor of the property. The new tenant becomes the sub-lessee.
Subletting Laws in Tennessee
In Tennessee, there are no specific subletting laws that tenants will need to follow. This means that if there is nothing in the original lease document that addresses whether or not subleasing is permitted on the premises or not, the landlord will not be able to refuse the tenant this type of arrangement. To make sure that the tenant has the approval of the landlord, it is best for the tenant to send a request to the landlord at least 30 days before the agreement begins. If the landlord does not reply to the notice, then it can be assumed that it is approved. Also, make sure to send the notice using certified mail.
What to Include in a Tennessee Sublease Agreement
- The date that the sublease agreement begins and ends.
- Whether or not the sub-lessor can renew the lease.
- The full names of the sub-lessor and the sub-lesse.
- The terms of the rental agreement. A copy of the original lease should be included as well.
- The location where the rent will need to be paid.
- The amount that the new tenant will need to pay each month for rent.
- The security deposit and the utilities that will need to be paid.
- The signature of the sub-lessor and the sub-lessee
- The landlord’s consent will need to be included as well.