The Tennessee sublease agreement is a contract that allows the initial tenant (“sublessor”) of a property to rent (“sublet”) that property to a new tenant (“subtenant”). With landlord permission, the subtenant relieves some or all of the initial tenant’s rental obligations under their original lease.
A sublease agreement can be a useful arrangement for a student, a temporary worker, or someone traveling abroad for a while. The responsibilities that the tenant signed up for when they signed the lease will be transferred to the new tenant. They will need to pay the rent and the utilities while they are away. In addition, the terms can be for a few months or until the lease ends. The landlord will deal with the subtenant like they are the tenant, or they can choose to deal with the original tenant only, which will make them like the sublessor of the property. The new tenant becomes the subtenant.
Subletting Laws in Tennessee
In Tennessee, there are no specific subletting laws that tenants will need to follow. This means that if there is nothing in the original lease document that addresses whether or not subleasing is permitted on the premises or not, the landlord will not be able to refuse the tenant this type of arrangement. To make sure that the tenant has the approval of the landlord, it is best for the tenant to send a request to the landlord at least 30 days before the agreement begins. If the landlord does not reply to the notice, then it can be assumed that it is approved. Also, make sure to send the notice using certified mail.
What to Include in a Tennessee Sublease Agreement
- The date that the sublease agreement begins and ends.
- Whether or not the sublessor can renew the lease.
- The full names of the sublessor and the subtenant.
- The terms of the rental agreement. A copy of the original lease should be included as well.
- The location where the rent will need to be paid.
- The amount that the new tenant will need to pay each month for rent.
- The security deposit and the utilities that will need to be paid.
- The signature of the sublessor and the subtenant.
- The landlord’s consent will need to be included as well.