A West Virginia lease termination form for at-will tenants is a written document that states year-to-year tenants have 90 days to vacate the premises.
However, West Virginia landlords are not required to provide an eviction notice for nonpayment of rent, a violation of the rental agreement, or any other reason.
Read further to learn about what information is required on an eviction notice for it to be valid and legally acceptable ways of delivering notices.
- Lease Termination Notice for “At-Will” Tenants – 90-Day Notice to Vacate
Information Required for All West Virginia Notices
West Virginia doesn’t specify what information must be included on an eviction notice at the state level. However, it’s a good idea to include:
- The date the tenancy will terminate
- The reason for the eviction
- The tenant’s name and contact information
The landlord will also want to get the tenant’s signature confirming that they received the eviction notice, if the notice was hand-delivered.
Acceptable Ways of Delivering Notices
According to West Virginia court rules , landlords can serve the notice on tenants through any one of the following methods:
- Giving it to the tenant in person
- Giving it to a member of the tenant’s family who’s over the age of 16 (if tenant cannot be found)
- Leaving it at the tenant’s workplace with a clerk or someone who is “in charge”
- Faxing it to the tenant’s workplace or home
- Mailing it to the tenant via regular mail
Note that certified mail is not required under West Virginia law.
Types of Eviction Notices
Each possible ground for eviction has its own process and notice requirements.
90-Day Lease Termination Notice for “At-Will” Tenants
If West Virginia landlords want to terminate a lease for any reason other than a lease violation/nonpayment of rent, then they must give their year-to-year tenants 90 days’ written notice.
For all other periodic tenancies, such as week-to-week or month-to-month, landlords must give tenants at least as much notice as the rental period. For example, a week-to-week tenant would receive 7 days’ written notice.
Get the downloadable 90-Day Lease Termination Notice form template below (.pdf direct link).