The West Virginia sublease agreement is a contract that allows the initial tenant (“sublessor”) of a rental to rent (“sublet”) all (or a portion) of the property to a new tenant (“subtenant”). With the landlord’s permission, the subtenant must make periodic payments towards the rental amount of the initial tenant’s lease.
A sublease agreement could be either a short term of a few months or unit the lease expires. With some sublease agreements, the new tenant will have the option of signing the lease and extending their stay in the unit when the sublease agreement expires. In this type of arrangement, the new tenant is called the subtenant, and the original tenant is called the sublessor.
Subletting Laws in West Virginia
In the state of West Virginia, there are no subletting laws that the tenant will need to follow. If they would like to do this type of agreement, they should get permission from the landlord to do so. This will provide a line of communication to talk about subleasing the unit, and for them to either say that they would like to have a part in selecting a tenant to fill their spot. Unless the official rental agreement states that subletting the unit is not permitted, the landlord will not be able to refuse the tenant from doing this type of arrangement.
What to Include in a West Virginia Sublease Agreement
- The full name of both parties, which will include the new tenant and the original one.
- The location of the property as well as any identifying cross streets.
- The date that the sublease will begin, and whether or not the new tenant will be able to extend their stay by signing a new lease.
- The amount of rent that the subtenant will need to pay each month, and where the rent should be dropped off.
- The security deposit that the subtenant will be responsible for paying, and how long the landlord will have to return it when they vacate the property.
- The utilities that need to be paid each month, and whether they will need to be switched to the new tenant’s name.
- The terms of the rental agreement. Make sure to include a copy of the original lease document so that nothing is left out or forgotten in the sublease agreement.
- The signature of both parties will need to be included as well as their printed names.
- The date of the signing should be included as well.
- The signature of the landlord to give their consent to the agreement.