Grab our FREE Utah residential sublease agreement sample and read further about subletting laws in Utah, required disclosures, optional addendums and what other Utah landlord tenant laws apply to residential sublease agreements.
Click here to view/download the direct PDF file.
What is a Utah Sublease Agreement?
A sublease is an agreement that adds a third party to the rental agreement. This third party effectively takes over the responsibilities of the original tenant so that they can live elsewhere for a while. This can be an excellent option for a student because they can have someone else rent the space during the summer break, and move back in when the fall semester begins. The new tenant will become the sub-lessee, and the original tenant will become the sub-lessor in this arrangement. The sub-lessee will be responsible for paying the rent, the utilities, and following the terms of the property while they are subleasing.
Subletting Laws in Utah
When a sublease agreement is considered, the first thing to check is to make sure that it is permitted by law. In the state of Utah, this type of arrangement is permitted by the primary tenant. As a courtesy, the tenant will want to send the landlord information about the agreement before it happens to officially get their approval for the arrangement. The notice should be sent via certified mail so that the tenant can have proof of its receipt.
What to Include in a Utah Sublease Agreement
- The names of the sub-lessor and the sub-lessee.
- The date that the sublease agreement will begin and end.
- The amount of rent that is due each month, and where it should be delivered on the day that it is due.
- The security deposit that the new tenant will need to pay.
- The terms of the lease that needs to be followed. This will include the pet policy, the quiet time policy, and anything else the sub-lessee will need to be aware of with the rental unit.
- The signature of both of the parties involved as well as the signature of the landlord, which will provide their consent to the arrangement.